The Teaching and Learning Center offers free tutoring to OCTC students. We have a full-time staff along with peer tutors. We offer support in a variety of areas. See our tutoring schedule for subjects, time, and availability.
Q: When should you seek a tutor?
A: Come to the TLC:
• If you are having difficulty understanding lectures
• If you are falling behind in class
• If you are performing poorly on tests
• If you want or need help with study skills
• If you want or need help preparing for a test
• If you are having trouble with homework assignments
• If you are having difficulty understanding how to make a writing outline
• If you are having problems writing a paper
• If you are having problems understanding how to do research
• If you don't understand how to use a computer
• If you are having problems with organization
Q: What do we tutor?
A: We always offer support in math, English, writing, computers, learning strategies, test taking skills, and critical thinking skills . However, other areas, such as chemistry, physics, and biology, vary by student tutors’ abilities and semester. Meet this semester’s tutors and check out our tutoring schedule.
Q: When do we tutor?
A: Tutoring for math and computers is available on a walk-in basis. We encourage appointments for help with writing.
Q: How long do we tutor?
A: Tutors may work with one student for no more than two hours in a single session.
Q: Do you need an appointment or can you walk in for assistance?
A: Math and computer assistance is available on a walk-in basis. Writing, study skills, and other support areas require an appointment.
Q: What should you bring to tutoring?
A: You will need to bring: