High school student in a college class.

Financial Aid FAQs

Questions about financial aid? We’ve got answers! 

Am I eligible for financial aid?

In general, you’re eligible as long as you:

  • are a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen
  • are registered with the Selective Service, if required by law
  • are working toward a degree, diploma, or certificate
  • are making satisfactory academic progress (SAP)
  • do not owe a refund on a federal grant or are not in default on a federal educational loan
  • demonstrate financial need, if required
  • have not been convicted of drug distribution or possession


How much aid am I eligible for?

The federal government and ACT provide electronic forms that estimate how much you might receive. No amount is certain until you apply, but these forms will give you a good, general idea.

How do I know if I’m a dependent or independent?

If you answer no to all of the questions below, you are considered dependent. If you answer yes to any of these questions, you are considered independent:

  • Were you born before Jan. 1, 1992?
  • Do you have a bachelor's degree?
  • Are you married? (Answer yes if you are separated, but not divorced.)
  • Are you an orphan or ward of the court or were you a ward of the court until age 18?
  • Are you a veteran of the U.S. armed forces?
  • Do you have dependents other than a spouse who receive more than half of their support from you and will continue to do so through June 30, 2017?


What records will I need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid?

If you declare yourself independent, you’ll need to gather the information below for you. If you’re married, you’ll need to gather this information for both you and your spouse. If you declare yourself a dependent student, you’ll need the following for you and your parents:

  • Driver’s license and Social Security card (students only)
  • W-2 Forms and other records on money earned in 2015
  • 2015 U.S. income tax return (IRS Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ)
  • Records of untaxed income, such as welfare, Social Security, TANF or ADC, or veterans benefits
  • Current bank statement
  • Current mortgage information
  • Business and farm records
  • Records of stocks, bonds, and other investments
  • Copies of records showing child support received or paid during 2015
  • Copies of records showing any income or benefits not mentioned above or reflected in 2015 income taxes
  • A copy of your high school transcript or GED (or statement of proof) may be required by the admissions or financial aid office before financial aid is awarded


Where can I get financial aid forms?

The Kentucky Community Technical College System provides printable versions of the forms we use.

What happens after I apply?

If you apply online, your application will be processed in a week. If you apply by mail, it will take about four weeks. Unless any problems arise, you will get a Student Aid Report in the mail showing how much aid you may receive and how much you’ll need to pay.

How will I get the aid money?

We have a written procedure you can review in the Office of Financial Aid. After tuition, fees, and required book costs are paid, refunds will be sent to you.  This usually occurs approximately four to six weeks after classes begin.

How do education tax credits work?

Hope Scholarship and Lifetime Learning credits are subtracted from your taxes. They cover tuition and any costs you need to pay to enroll, except insurance, medical and health fees, room and board, transportation, or similar living expenses.

I’m a veteran. Do veterans get any special benefits?

Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) educational benefits are designated to provide eligible individuals with an opportunity for educational and career growth.  It is certainly one of the most valuable benefits afforded to veterans and qualified dependents and should be wisely utilized.  Veterans have earned the right to use their educational benefits for the purpose it was intended for, and we at OCTC are both pleased and honored to assist you in utilizing it to your best advantage.  We welcome you to our campus and hope you will significantly benefit through your studies.

Contact Information for OCTC Veterans’ Benefits

OCTC Veterans’ Affairs Representative/Veterans Certifying Official

Phone: (270) 686-4631