Admission FAQs

Got questions? We've got answers.

When should I complete and return the application?

You should apply as soon as possible before the semester you plan to start. Applying early will give you time to complete placement testing, send ACT or SAT scores (if needed), and submit high school and/or college transcripts.

How late can I apply?

You can apply as late as the first day of classes, but if you apply early, you will have a better selection of classes to choose from. The most popular programs and classes fill up quickly!

What if I have a disability? 

We are here to help you succeed. Contact Dr. Joe Yazvac at or 270-686-4528.  Or visit Disability Services to learn more. 

When do I enroll?

Once you've applied, and all the required materials are received, we will invite you to register. Registration begins in April for Summer/Fall semester students and in November for Spring semester students.

How will I know which classes to take?

Our counselors and academic advisors will help you plan your program based on your previous education, career, and personal goals.

When should I pay for my classes?

As soon as you register, if possible. If you have not paid by the first day of the semester, you will be charged a late fee of up to $75. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and Discover. If you receive financial aid, you can request a tuition deferment until you receive those funds.

Can I talk with a counselor?

Absolutely. You can discuss career plans, course selection, program or degree requirements, transfer requirements, and other academic and social issues. Stop by the START Center or schedule an appointment with the Counseling Center by calling 686-4418.

If I work full time, is there someone available in the evening?

Yes!Our START Center is open Monday through Thursday evenings until 5:30 p.m. Central Time. No appointment is necessary.

Will I get an advisor?

Yes! Every student seeking a credential at the college has an advisor assigned during their first semester. Your advisor and contact info is available via our PeopleSoft student information system.

What if my admissions file is incomplete?

We will let you know if we need any additional information.In addition, once you have your student ID number (you will receive it after you apply), you can create your KCTCS User account and check on the status of your application through our PeopleSoft student information system.

Am I required to declare a major when I submit my application?

You don't need to declare a major immediately, but there are good reasons to do so. Once you do declare a major, well select an advisor for you based on your academic interest. Declaring a major will also make you eligible for financial aid. If you don't choose a major when you apply, or if you change your major after admission, please stop by the START Center.

What degrees, diplomas, and certificate programs do you offer?

We offer a wide array of programs leading to associate degrees, diplomas, and certificates. Find out more!

How long will it take me to earn a degree?

It depends on the program, your previous education, and whether you can study full-time or part-time. Most of our programs can be completed in four or five semesters of full-time work.

How many credits will I need?

Both the Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degrees require 60 credit hours. Applied Science degree programs generally require more, and diploma programs fewer. Certificate programs come in a variety of sizes since they target a specific job skill set or area.

What options do I have for attending?

We've got several options to help you tailor the program to fit your life. Our counselors can help you decide among:

  • Part time or full time
  • Day and evening classes
  • On-and off-campus sites
  • Distance learning classes, including online study.


What kind of financial aid is available to me?

Stop by our Financial Aid Office. There are grants, scholarships, and loans available. The earlier you apply, the better!

Where should I send my application and other materials?

OCTC Student Records
4800 New Hartford Road
Owensboro, KY 42303

What if I have not been classified as a Kentucky resident but I think I should be?

You have the right to appeal the decision. Learn more about the process and complete the residency appeal.

What if I still have questions?

Stop by the START Center, contact us online, or call us at 686-4527!