Business and Industry Services
Owensboro Community and Technical Collegeis the region's primary provider of workforce education. We deliver services to address the full range of needs faced by business and industry as well as training for individuals who want to upgrade their skills. Our programs prepare today's workforce for the jobs of tomorrow.
What We Do
We provide customized training and support for business and industry, which can:
- Develop a stronger workforce with the knowledge and skills for the jobs of the future.
- Assist the Commonwealth of Kentucky in attracting and retaining businesses and industries that thrive on innovative ideas and technologies.
- Provide workers with world-class transferable, portable skills.
- Increase the productivity and employability of Kentuckys workforce.
- Strengthen and improve state and local economies.
OCTC delivers customized high quality and cost effective training and assessment services
that are designed to improve the performance and efficiency of your company. The OCTC
Workforce Solutions staff will work with you to design training programs to meet the
needs of your company and bring them to your location. In addition, OCTC offers open
enrollment classes for hundreds of topics to help you meet your workforce training
Workforce Solution at OCTC utilizes qualified subject-matter experts and instructors to provide basic-through-advanced levels of industrial training.We offer the training opportunitiesin the following areas, many of which can lead to a degree, including:
- Manufacturing training
- Industrial maintenance training
- Welding training
- Electrical training
- Safety training in all areas
- Individualized certification programs for manufacturing trades
To contact us about these services, e-mail Keith.Boarman@kctcs.edu
or contact him at 270-686-4440.
KCTCS-TRAINS provides funding for companies to support training and assessment services for current and potential employees. KCTCS-TRAINS funds are distributed on a project basis and require a company cash match of 50%.The OCTC Workforce Solutions staff will assist companies in developing training plans and completing the application process for KCTCS-TRAINS funding.
Local companies that have utilized KCTCS-TRAINS funding include:
- Kimberly Clark
- Sun Windows
- Dart Polymers
- Unilever Bestfoods
- Texas Gas
- Swedish Match
- Aleris Rolled Products
- MPD, Inc.
- Owensboro Mercy Health System
- Industrial Mold & Machine
- Dana Corporation
- Toyotetsu Mid-America
Find out more about this option at: KCTCS-TRAINS.
Workforce Solutions can help you assess current and potential employees. We have a variety of assessments customized by industry subject matter experts and OCTC program instructors. We offer written assessments and hands-on industry performance assessments inthe followingmechanical and electrical skill areas:
- NOCTI (National Occupational Competency Testing Institute)
- Bennett Mechanical Test
- Maintenance Mechanic
- Fleet Mechanic
- Senior Electrician
- Electronics Technician
- Level I / Level II Mechanics
OCTC offers expertise and assistance in pre-hire selection and new employee orientation. We work with you to define the required skills and abilities for each job and then design a pre-employment program to evaluate and enhance employee skills helping you:
- Save time and money on recruitment
- Reduce employee turnover
- Cultivate your own leaders
- Promote from within
OCTC provides certifications for the manufacturing, healthcare and business sectors including options such as LEAN, ASQ Quality and Forklift.
Academic Programs and Corporate College Services
OCTC can provide at your worksite:
- College Awareness Fairs with information related to postsecondary program options, academic advising, assistance with college and financial aid applications, and how to get ready for college coursework.
- Corporate College Program: a sequence of open enrollment, cohort-based college courses held at your worksite. (Cohorts would have 10-12 participant minimum.) This program would allow employees interested in pursuing their associate degrees the opportunity to enroll in college coursework in collaboration with their co-workers through your companys tuition reimbursement program. Convenient, flexible options based on cohort interest can be scheduled such as lunch offerings or courses scheduled before or after work hours. To contact us about assessment services, call 270-686-4444.