What is Commercial Driver's License Training?
Our Commercial Driver's License (CDL) program is designed to prepare individuals with little or no commercial driving experience for an entry-level position in the trucking industry. Our focus is on developing safe responsible drivers. The training course can be completed in four weeks by attending full-time, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Classes begin about every five weeks.
Our training course includes everything you will need. The benefits include:
- Department of Transportation (DOT) physical and drug screening
- Classroom, range, and road instruction led by credentialed experienced trucking professionals
- Map reading, trip planning, and vehicle operation training
- Kentucky CDL manual; DOT rules, regulations, and log books
- Class A road test administered by Kentucky State Police upon course completion
- Certificate of completion and job placement assistance
You may register at any time! However, class size is limited. Enrollments are accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis. Training is scheduled around holidays and interruptions caused by weather or other unforeseen circumstances.
A high school diploma or GED is not required, however you must:
- Be able to read and write the English language
- Be at least 18 years old for intrastate license *
- Be at least 21 years old for interstate license
- Be able to meet the Federal DOT physical requirements
- Have a valid Kentucky driver's license **
* You may be accepted into the training course if you are 18 and over, but limited job placement assistance is available if you are under the age of 21.
** Please note: Students with a driver's license from outside of Kentucky should plan to enroll at least 30 days before their class begins to minimize license transfer charges.
Costs and Fees
- 160 hour tractor/trailer driver training
- $4,200 tuition effective Sept. 1, 2022
- This includes DOT physical, drug screening, CDL manual, classroom, and road training.
- Tuition does NOT include the following student fees to the Driver Licensing Regional Office: CDL application $24, permit $11, skills testing $50, original CDL $45 (total $130) nor the road/skills retesting fee to Kentucky State Police: $52.50
- Tuition to be paid in full before the first day of class
- Acceptable payment methods include cash, money order, credit card, and bank check (no personal checks)
Full refunds will be granted if the class is cancelled by OCTC or the student officially withdraws before the first day of class. Partial refunds may be granted if requested in writing by the end of the second day of class or if the student does not pass DOT physical or drug screening. No refunds will be granted if requested after the second day of class or if the student is dismissed for violating the class code of conduct. Non-attendance does not relieve the student of financial obligation or entitle the student to a refund.
For more information about our CDL program, please contact Amee Payne at email@example.com or call 270-686-3786.