Paying for College | OCTC

Paying for College

At OCTC, we believe no one should miss out on a college education because they think they can't afford it. That's why we offer the lowest tuition in the state and different ways to pay.

All prospective students and their parents are encouraged to complete and submit the FAFSA. Changes in federal student aid programs have made nearly all families eligible for some type of financial aid.

Types of Financial Aid at OCTC

SCHOLARSHIPS - Money awarded to students based on academic or other achievements to help pay for educational expenses. Scholarships are another form of gift aid and generally do not have to be repaid.

GRANTS - Grants are a form of gift aid that does not have to be repaid (unless, for example, the student withdraws or is unsuccessful in all classes, then part or all of the grant will need to be returned).

Federal Grants - The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be filed annually to be considered for any federal grant. Students are encouraged to apply as early as possible after October 1 before the school year during which financial assistance is requested.

State Grants

OCTC offers the following state grants/scholarship programs. The Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA) administers these programs. To find out more about these state grants, please click on the links below.

OCTC does not participate in the Kentucky Tuition Grant (KTG), as this grant is only available to private secondary institutions.

To view more information about these state programs, to set up a MY KHEAA account, and to view award amounts or status please visit the KHEAA website.

Federal Work-Study provides part-time jobs for undergraduate students with financial needs, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the student’s course of study.

Here’s a quick overview of Federal Work-Study:

  • It provides part-time employment while you are enrolled in school.
  • It is available to undergraduate students with financial need.
  • It is available to full-time or part-time students.

Visit our Federal Work Study page for more information.

OCTC participates in the Stafford Direct Lending Program. This program offers student loans at low-interest rates with the possibility that some of your interest may be paid while you are in school, leading to lower debt levels.
Student loans offer students money that must be paid back. Loans can only be packaged up to the yearly maximum limits or up to the school's cost of attendance, whichever is lower. Students must be enrolled in at least six credit hours per semester to be loan eligible. Please see our Student Loans page.

An exemption or a waiver is a 3rd party payment of all or part of a student's tuition and fee bill (i.e. not through normal financial aid programs or scholarships).

The financial aid office is notified of all tuition exemptions and waivers. These awards are resources (like any other forms financial aid), so they must be taken into account when awarding financial aid. We may have to adjust your other awards (usually loans first) due to waivers or exemptions, so it is important to notify our office as soon as possible if you know you will be receiving one.


To receive financial aid, you'll need to start planning early and make sure all forms are turned in on time.

To help you get started, we've broken the process into three easy steps:

The first step in applying for financial aid is completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, and you'll hear it called FAFSA. The FAFSA must be completed each year, and changes to the application are coming.

Gather these documents, and use them to fill out the free application here.

Now that you've applied for Federal Financial Aid through the FAFSA, it’s not required, but it’s always a good idea to apply for additional scholarships that are offered through OCTC, the state, and other agencies, and that don't have to be repaid.

Let's make sure you haven't missed anything. For some students additional paperwork is needed. It’s important to visit your student self-service account and check your To-Do List to make sure you've got everything taken care of.

If there is nothing for you to do, you can use that page to review your awards. Remember that if more documents are needed, you won’t be eligible for federal aid until they are turned in and processed.